Since 1974, World Environment Day has been celebrated on 5 June, a global platform that unites governments, institutions and citizens around the environmental emergency.

“Time For Nature” has been the motto chosen this year, to show the links that connect life on Earth and highlight the importance of biodiversity. Nature is the basis of life, which makes the supply of food, air and water possible. However, there are still many actions that are disrespectful to the environment, so it is time to remember and value it.

Over-consumption, pollution and waste of food in the world is leading to a series of global environmental changes that are resulting in resource depletion, deforestation, climate disasters and species extinction, among others. One of the main factors of this problem is industry, as the main:

  • GHG emitter. According to data from the  Spanish Inventory of Air Emissions (2018), it is one of the sectors with the greatest weight in overall GHG emissions at 20 %, along with transport (27 %), electricity (18 %) and agriculture (12 %).
  • Water consumer. The World Bank estimates in Europe that agriculture (70 %) and industry (30%) cover 90% of the resource, leaving only 10 % for domestic use.
  • Waste generator. According to the Global Waste Management Outlook-GWMO (2015), between 7 and 10 billion tons of waste are generated worldwide every year, including urban, industrial and construction and demolition waste.
  • Energy user. According to data from the Spanish Energy Agency (2007), the industry consumes more than 40 % of the world’s electricity.

LIFE MCUBO focuses, specifically, on improving efficient management to reduce water and energy consumption in industry, and promoting wastewater reuse for industrial processes (disinfection, cleaning, etc.). The project, nearing completion, has managed to identify the highest consumption points in each of the industrial processes of the demonstrating companies and to propose a series of measures to reduce their water and energy consumption by up to 75 %.

Over-consumption, pollution and waste of food in the world is leading to a series of global environmental changes, such as resource depletion, deforestation, climate disasters and species extinction, among others. Now more than ever, efficient resource management is essential to preserve the planet and its biodiversity.